Keith Fletcher Profile
Keith is currently Chair of Merthyr Tydfil Housing Association and of Smart Money Credit Union. He has been developing the concept of an ENTREPRENEURS COOPERATIVE for several months and now chairs a steering group to test the feasibility and robustness of such an organisation in practice.
Until retiring from paid work he ran a company, SSSP Ltd., which provided research and development in public service management. The company originally specialised in social services but, as many of the key issues concerned leadership governance and commissioning those, rather than specific service focus, were the areas in which the company latterly specialised.
The sort of work the company undertook is illustrated by the following project list:-
- A project to enable three Women's Aid groups to develop a strategic collaboration among themselves and with their local authority.
- A research study of competition in local government in England under the auspices of Cardiff University and commissioned by the Audit Commission.
- An Integrated Commissioning Strategy for Children's Services; part of a programme of developments to support a local authority in difficulty.
- A programme of development seminars to identify opportunities for, and facilitate, inter-agency working.
- An analysis of the structure and provision of services to looked after children and proposals for change.
- An analysis of services over-spend in a local authority with auditor colleagues leading to recommendations for savings with minimal service impact.
- A business plan for a family placement service; part of a programme of developments to support a local authority in difficulty.
- A development plan for an inter-agency framework for the assessment of children in need in a local authority.
- A feasibility study for the integration of services (health, welfare, housing and support) for elderly people.
- A review of the anti-poverty strategy in a local authority and proposals for change.
During the period he wrote several books on professional subjects two of which (respectively on negotiation and on partnerships in social care) are still in print. You can see the full list on the books page.
Public Service CareerThe first half of his career was a public service professional having trained as a social worker. The positions he held were as follows:-
- 1985-1992 Deputy Chief Inspector, Social Services Inspectorate, Welsh Office
- 1978-1985 Social Work Service Officer, Welsh Office
- 1973-1978 Social Work Service Officer, Department of Health & Social Security
- 1971-1973 Area Social Services Officer, London Borough of Redbridge
- 1968-1971 Assistant Area Children's Officer, Lancashire County Council
- 1966-1968 Family Caseworker, Lancashire County Council
- 1965-1966 Family Caseworker, Northumberland Health Department
- 1963-1965 Assistant Warden & Youth Leader, Liverpool University Settlement
In the time he has left over from the social housing, social enterprise and the cooperative movement Keith helps run a counselling company Impact Counselling Ltd. He is a member of the Labour Party, contributing where he can to policy development within his area of expertise.
His leisure interests include sailing, music, the history and development of languages and travel.